Friday, January 6, 2012

Seeing Red




I once tried to paint my bedroom red. What a huge mistake that was, which I knew was as soon as most of the primer went up. It made the tall and narrow room cramped and claustrophobic. The light from two windows stabbing the eye, repainting it back to cameo white seemed to take forever. But I still love red. Warm and welcoming, I fantasize about a red living room.




In the West Village today, I stopped into Three Lives & Company - a wonderful bookstore - and was seduced into picking up a copy of Mad World:  Evelyn Waugh and the Secrets of Brideshead by Paula Byrne. Rounding the corner afterwards, I ran into the red door above, still festive for Epiphany. Red made its appearance again in the form of a French Bordeaux, a perfect compliment to a tale of passion, intrigue, love and loss.


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't think of a better ramble than the book or the shop!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.