Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Verdancy




I'm obsessed with green. Twenty-three yards of dark khaki green Chinz hang in a closet, ready to spring forth into summer curtains. Too much for some, I can only smile. The fabric has movement and a wonderful sheen and is begging for green lining. Age? I am guessing the 80's when English Country House Style conquered the East Side. 





A recent find from the flea market, or rather, what's left of the flea market in Manhattan: an oxidized Iranian copper oil lamp (c.1880) that was electrified and retains its original fittings. It sits naked on the table awaiting a new shade of green silk with three inch fringe. The gold lining will cast a warm glow on the base and bring out the relief as it sits on a tall Mahogany Empire dresser. I love it that the oil tank is intact. The patina is exactly what Louis Comfort Tiffany endeavored to create in his work which makes my heart sing. 




Found last summer, a green and gold-trimmed pelmet decks a door for the holidays. Circa 1915, it once graced a mansion window and now wants to hang horizontally from a gilded half-tester with green wool curtains - a grand gesture in a small room. Lined with beautifully faded green linen, the pelmet's gold thread needs gentle repair. I love its age, masculinity and elegance.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.