Monday, April 23, 2012

Pile of tile & failing shelf





You've seen them before: emerald green tile piled up on my fireplace hearth waiting to be installed as a backsplash in the alcove kitchen. I have about five square feet of them, while the total space of the backsplash is about six square feet. What to do? Create a border with black tile. Why black? Because the Kohler sink is black enamel and the under-the-counter fridge is black as is the cabinet. The latter is sitting in my living room waiting for action.






I made a trip to Chelsea, visiting no less than seven tile providers and lucked out with the first (needless to say, no writing was done that afternoon). They had exactly what I wanted- simple black tile of the same thickness and pleasing dimensions. It should come in the next day or two. Ill be installing it myself. Not hard really. Just tedious and time consuming. I've already done some tile work in the bathroom so know what I am getting into.






Meanwhile, an eight foot long storage shelf that was installed in the bedroom about ten years ago failed a day ago, pulling away from it's support structure - a day into fighting off a cold which left me brain dead. After deciding to remove it, Mr. Husband and I found ourselves in the middle of a big Spring cleaning. The storage unit in the basement was reconfigured and multiple trips were made to Housing Works to donate clothes and housewares and hadn't been used in a year. So far so good. We won't need the shelf and the added space will be transforming. 

The photos of tiny kitchens? Snapped from a lovely book while standing in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. At this late hour, I can't for the life of me remember the book title, though, when I do, I'll insert the proper credit. It's the warm darkness that appeals to me as well as the elegant use of space. Kinda what I am hoping for our place. 

6 comments:

  1. Tiny kitchens concentrate the stock; I'm serious. Spatial signals are enormously relevant in cuisine, and compression refines every gesture, as with a tamis or a fine blade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I am going to turn into a diamond! :)

      Delete
  2. If it were me, I would not add a black border to the green tile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You aren't nearly as Victorian as I, Blue- which is to your credit! After trying quite a few tiles as compliment, it seemed the only workable solution.

      Delete
  3. Did I mention that I am thinking of painting the back of the cabinets above the back splash emerald green?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you did, I missed it. Emerald green sounds fab, I must say. My kitchen cabinets are what you might expect - blue.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.