Thursday, April 26, 2012

Time for Tea




Though I've had this old Sheffield silver plate and ebony tea pot for about a year now, today was its first time for tea. When I found it at the flea market it was black and yellow-orange. At first I thought the silver had been worn away. Not so. The yellow-orange was nicotine. Lifting the lid, I saw that the pot had never been used. How strange! It must have sat on a shelf while someone smoked away for years. A steal for twenty bucks, I brought it home and started cleaning it up. There is still more to do if you look closely at the hard to reach ridges that are canyons of darkness. But goodness! They knew what they were doing when they made these pots: the tea stays hot for a very long time. The tea for its maiden voyage? Darjeeling with cherry tarts from Soutine


5 comments:

  1. Fruitcake, homemade and well-matured is the only possible thing to have with darjeeling. Perhaps on my next visit to the city, I'll bring you one. Oh, I know that fruitcake in this country has a bad reputation and judging by what is commercially available even from self-styled gourmet stores, it is no wonder. Homemade is well worth learning to savour. Cherry tarts indeed! Good teapot, though.

    Rant over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade fruitcake does sound like the perfect compliment to darjeeling. I'm boiling water right now. Book a flight!

      Delete
  2. Oh dahhling what a find! You know I love afternoon té! I personally love french vernane....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to quibble with the offer of anything homemade, which makes it - that is - through these two wickets. But I do need to ask if you are using one of your witty 'ex post photo' telephone apps because the lighting in this presentation is excellent, and moreover I depend on your Georgia correspondent's telephone photography without fail as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Iphone app this time, Laurent. I used my old Olympus digital camera.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.