Friday, May 18, 2012

In the black




A long-waited day arrived yesterday: a black cabinet, under-the-counter refrigerator, Kohler enamel sink, nickel faucet and butcher block countertop was installed. With only fifty-two inches to work with, figuring out how to make everything fit next to a twenty inch stove (which I am not including since it is going to be replaced with a stainless and black number) was something of a rubric's cube. 

I originally wanted to use beautiful green tile as a backsplash (see my previous posts), but decided not to do that after having a bug put in my ear by Blue- god bless him. He was right. What I had planned wasn't going to work. His solution? Mirror. And I didn't have to look far: it was sitting in the back of a closet after being removed from the back of a door. Seeing that it was the perfect size...well..let's just say it was fate. 

The dinnerware is old Lenox and Minton, the latter found at the flea market this past week. I plopped it on the counter with some champagne glasses and an antique light that usually resides on an old oak kitchen dresser, the top of which you see in the foreground (it needs a bit of work).





(I really do believe that lighting is everything - or nearly everything - after being onstage at the opera for more than twenty years. While you can't make a badly designed set look great, you can make a terrific one look awful if you don't know what you are doing.)

The cabinets above the sink (which you can't see thank god) are metal and were installed when the apartment was converted from a single family house into a co-op in 1947 (the second co-op on the upper west side actually). They are going to be torn out along with the wall above which covers unused space. Things to work into that unused space? Ductwork that will reach to the stove. And what a glorious day that will be. While cooking in a small space has its advantages, dealing with grease is not one of them; an extractor fan is a must.

I stained the countertop antique walnut and then treated it with a product called Waterlox. It's made out of tongue oil and can be renewed without having to refinish, something I would have had to do if I had used a plastic finish and it became cracked or chipped. I like the countertop's look and feel. It's real. 

Things are in progress. We are in the black.  


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the mirror worked and I must say how very handsome your new kitchen looks, too.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.