Saturday, June 23, 2012

Midsummer in Manhattan




The garden at Fort Tryon Park in northern Manhattan is one of New York's secrets. Located at 190th Street (take the A train and then the elevator), it once had sixty gardeners during it's heyday in the 1930's. Now there are four. 




It was established with Rockefeller money - or so I was told by a hunky gardener who I knew when I lived in Inwood years ago - and restored as a heather garden in the 1980's after many years of dereliction. It's a wonderful place to stroll. While there, you feel removed from the hustle and bustle of the City. Looking across the river, you see the Palisades




I took these photos (yes...with my iPhone) after returning from a party at a friend's apartment a few blocks away. We passed the Cloisters on our way to the subway. If you haven't visited this jewel of a museum, you are missing something! It wasn't open when we walked by, so, unfortunately, I did not take any photos.




Beautiful hydrangea at the southern end of the Park. 




After traveling downtown, I snapped the hydrangea at a house a few doors down from my building. 




Arriving at my door, the roses we planted a few years ago were in full bloom. Midsummer in Manhattan. 



4 comments:

  1. Daniel, Sitting in hot Cleveland, Ohio, and looking at your splendid photos, I am refreshed. Thank you. Keep writing.
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and encouragement, David! Having grown up in Pittsburgh (not that far from Cleveland), I know how hot and humid it can get in the summer. Stay cool! Daniel

      Delete
  2. There's a duckpond - and it is full of duck and geese - behind where I live and one the daily pleasures this time of year is walking around the pond and looking at the way hydrangeas gleam in dappled light under the trees. That blue and the occasional shocking pink, lifts my spirit which, early in the morning and only fortified by a cup of coffee, is not at its finest or most humane.

    Have a fine time in Italy. Sing to your heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thrillingly lovely, exquisitely truthfully New York

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.