Saturday, June 2, 2012

red men




They were in the same room at the Philadelphia Museum of Art when I encountered them last Monday, their redness gleaming against the dark walls. I don't know why I love red so much, but I do: so much so that I tried to paint my bedroom with the color with disastrous results. Part cave, part nightmare, I knew once the primer was up (also red) that it was doomed. But you know how it is: you have to go over the cliff to know where the cliff is. I still love red, however, and fantasize about an all red library with old master paintings in burnished gold frames and lots of candle light.



4 comments:

  1. Fabulous portraits! The colors are remarkable. Thanks for sharing.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if Farrow and Ball still produce it but their "Incarnadine" is a good red. I quote:

    "A rich crimson red, similar to the red gloss paint used by the late David Hicks at Baron's Court in the 1970s."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue- as fate would have it, I stopped in Farrow & Ball's new store on Columbus Avenue a few weeks ago and brought home their "colour" chart which still contains Incarnadine, number 248. Perhaps I should be brave and paint my bathroom this color!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure you'd like a red bathroom or, more importantly, it'd like you (skin tones in a well-lit red room might make you look as if you have high blood pressure). I painted our previous bathroom in Fowler Pink No. 39 and I loved it but the Celt hated it.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.