Friday, July 20, 2012

Balthazar





Having a fondness for French bistros, Mr. Husband and I went to Balthazar last week for my birthday. The place has an old New York Deco-ish feel to it, with its nickel-plated light fixtures, huge mirrors, marble and glass everywhere. Of course, all this reflective surface can make the place very loud, which it was on the night we were there. Still, we had a great time feasting on little neck clams, a creamy tart with salad, trout, duck confit and cherry clafoutis for dessert. The dessert wine, a not-too-sweet Pieure d'Arche Sauternes, was especially lovely. Quite simple but no less tasty was the tower of French fries that sat in the middle of the table. They were a perfect compliment to the confit and my glass of red, the name of which escapes me now. The pleasure of the evening, however, will be remembered. 

















4 comments:

  1. Well, then, many happy returns of the day - your birthday, that is. Happy Birthday, indeed, if you celebrated at Balthazar. We love the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blue! Do love the place, from top to bottom. Next, I want to go there for breakfast.

      Delete
  2. Their cookbook captures a perfect attitude almost of dissimulation of excellence, but not of vitality of pleasure. I read it for delight and without intimidation; but a guy who forgets his red, I don't know.... Happy birthday two weeks late -- I keep thinking you are singing in Italy or writing a book, so I'm a dilatory sort of snoop over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday Wishes!! Many happy returns. Balthazar looks wonderful. What a special place to have one's birthday celebration. The food looks absolutely delicious too. I hope that it will be a night to remember for you both in many years to come.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.