Sunday, October 14, 2012

Autumn at the Met




I popped into the Metropolitan Museum of Art today after 'singing for my supper' on the East Side this morning and before I made my way to the West Side to have brunch with Mr. Husband. Since I didn't have a lot of time, I only took in the lobby and the gift shop. 




And wouldn't you know it: I saw a book that I've wanted to get. Realizing that I could get it for much less on Amazon or B&N, I decided to use the an app on my iPhone right then and there. Cheeky, I know. But why should I pay $55 when I can get it for $32? The shipping was free too, since there are  quite a few stores in town. In the past, they've just packed an order and hand delivered it. Amazing really. Is it just me that's been seduced by this kind of discount? Is it any wonder that small book shops have been going out of business? 




Saw the book below which made me smile since it is in keeping with Fall colors. If I'd had time, I would have gone up on the Met's roof to see the Autumn in New York. The leaves are just starting to have definite color. North of the City? It's already peaked.




The flower arrangements are always big, operatic, over-the-top spectacular. They never cease to amaze me. I just love this space so much. It's one of the glories of Manhattan. 





It's interesting to contemplate that, originally, the lobby was filled with statuary, making it a very busy space, visually speaking. Now, people take focus along with a huge Pharaoh and quite a bit of contemporary art.





The arrangements feature dried hydrangea, if I am not mistaken. 




But I have no idea when the deep pink stuff is. Let me know if you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.