Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday in the Park




I walked through Central Park from the East Side over to the West Side after singing for my supper this morning, snapping these photos with my iPhone as I passed Bethesda Terrace. 




The sky has been grey for the last two days. Manhattan is expected a pounding from hurricane Sandy, the City bracing for impact with the subways closing this evening. I've already been to the market and the wine store and have cancelled tomorrow's lessons as well as those on Tuesday. It will be nice to read a few books I've been looking forward to getting to as well as writing a bit. 




On my reading list? The Art Instinct: Beauty, Pleasure, and Human Evolution by Denis Sutton; Strapless: John Singer Sargent and the Fall of Madam X by Deborah Davis; and Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife by Eben Alexander, MD. So- between the wine and words: I am all set.  Oh- and candles too. You never know if the lights are going to go out, though that is doubtful here in the City. Last time that happened was during the summer when demand for electricity was very high. However, there are no power lines to knock over since everything is underground, right? God help those in low lying areas. I hear they are being evacuated. Where I live? It's 65 feet above see level.  




The single family Brownstone down the street had fabulous Halloween decorations which they took down today, storing them - I think - so as to put them back up on Wednesday morning after the storm has blown through.  Halloween is a big deal on my street, since it was started by Gwen Verdon back in the 60's as an alternative to the Parade in the Village. Brownstone's decorate big time, and hundreds- if not thousands- of kids Trick or Treat up and down the two blocks from Central Park West to Broadway. We'll see what happens this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.