Wednesday, December 26, 2012

On the second day of Christmas





We went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see the Neapolitan Christmas Tree. 








Then saw the Roentgens exbibit called Extravagant Inventions (photos not allowed!) A wonderful show, I only wish my father could have seen it, since he made quite a bit of beautiful furniture when I was growing up. He would have loved all the intricate hidden compartments. Not to be missed. 





The Victorian staircase by the Gift Shop, which I think is quite beautiful. I really like the colors and parcel gilt used to restore it.









The flowers in the lobby, which are wonderfully grand in their huge vases, the Winter berries lending a festive air.






Perseus holding Medusa's head: one of my favorite statues by Canova. It's fun to stand and watch everyone gawk and take pictures at this ten-foot wonder with divine proportions. Ever heard of the term Aesthetic Arrest? He's got it. 






The Greek and Roman Gallery. I've said it before, but I can't get enough of this part of the museum. And the funny thing is: I was standing in the gallery, taking a picture, and heard a man say as he passed by: "I have to get out of here! All this classicism is giving me a headache!" To each his own.















Mr. Husband and I then went out into the snow, jumped into a cab, and wound our way across Central Park, passing by the Natural History Museum with its huge dinosaur topiaries twinkling with lights, making tea when we got home. The Italian Chocolate-Almond Torte from Christmas dinner was still yummy after having been wrapped tight overnight.  A perfect gift on a Winter's day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.