Sunday, January 13, 2013

Inspiration: Michael S. Smith




What draws me to Michael S. Smith's interiors?  Their masculinity, symmetry, calmness, comfort, muted-color, scale - and of course: the beautiful textiles and carpets. If they are essentially English, that is to their credit, since it was the English who figured out how to make a room and chair worth staying in for more than five minutes. But I show my bias, do I not?

Strange to say perhaps, but my eyes tell me that Mr. Smith 'gets' the whole matter of dark and shade, that is: chiaroscuro. If he goes too far at times, it is when a certain opulence feels at odds with the architecture: too much tone overwhelming the simple aria. That said: more can be merry. I don't begrudge him one bit. My favorite of these photos? The third one down. I love the restraint and sense of mystery regarding the room beyond. Everything is mindful of the wonderful ceiling and windows: a touch of modernism in the form of the Parsons-ish coffee table holding it all together beneath a simple chandelier.

And then there's that big black Flemish mirror...

























Images from Pinterest.com, Trouvais.com and ArchitecturalDigest.com.  

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Indeed, the mirror is just perfect...

    Greetings from Belgium
    XX
    Jérôme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jérôme,

      He uses it twice in one room in Santa Barbra, as well as two other rooms that have been published. It just makes me smile. As does your comment.

      Greetings from Manhattan,

      Daniel

      Delete
  2. I was pretty OK until #13, the setting with the short stair. That struck me as familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your house, Laurent? Or someone you know? Do tell.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.