Monday, January 28, 2013

Sometimes I'm Happy (Sometimes I'm Blue)




Blue and the Celt were in Gotham last week, and dined with Mr. Husband and I at La Boîte en Bois, repairing afterwards to our hovel to hear my 1920's Victrola play a few tunes - my favorite being Vincent Youman's Sometimes I'm Happy (Sometimes I'm Blue) from 1927. It came with the machine, which my father presented to me for my 13th birthday (my family was living in Spain at the time, so the machine has "La Voz de su Amo" stamped on it).  I was attracted to antiques even then, my first obsession being old telephones. My parents bought me a reproduction from a catalogue, but when it arrived in the post, it didn't work. However, the Victrola plays as well as it ever did: frank, full tone, filling the room in a way that modern speakers do not (you can't quite hear the full effect on a recording). All one need do is wind the crank which is stored under the lid, and change the needle for every record, which keeps the latter from wearing out. No electricity necessary, Mr. Husband and I entertained ourselves quite nicely a few years ago during a rare summer blackout. It's gone to the Park on occasion too. Speaking of which: it might be fun to take it to the Governors Island Jazz Age Lawn Party this summer. Care to join us? 

And now for The Co-Dependent's Theme Song...






Photo taken with my iPhone using CameraBag App, Magazine setting, while the video was recorded on my Macbook Pro. Victor Recording "Sometimes I'm Happy" - Fox Trot- from the musical comedy "Hit the Deck", Irving Caesar & Vincent Youmans, Roger Wolfe Kahn and His Orchestra, Vocal refrain by Franklyn Bauer

4 comments:

  1. Dear Daniel, Thank you so much for sharing this delightful tune. Reading your post and listening to the old vintage record make me feel a bit nostalgic. I still do listen to my old LP records at home with their gold and red jazz labels with their idiosyncratic names; Vocalion, Columbia, Brunswick... My favourite version of this song "Sometimes I'm Happy" is by Lee Wiley (I've once read that she was a favourite singer of Cole Porter). I have all her records at home and I adore her luxurious voice (like an expensive mink coat)! Have a good week. Best wishes, ASD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear SuperD, I have not heard Wiley's version, which sounds quite wonderful, and will be looking for it certainly. Thank you for for that! Wishing you a good week as well- DJS

      Delete
  2. Daniel,
    Loved your story! I bought Jim a full sized Victrola for his 50th birthday and we too have enjoyed playing it...there's certainly nothing made these days that compares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Josette. Sounds like you have a standing model. Wonderful! Yes- there is nothing that quite compares to the sound of these machines in the room. Acoustical is the word that comes to mind.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.