Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Wild Tulips




"Nothing new here! Move on, move on to the next image of an interior, since you've seen this one before." That's the smirky voice that I heard in my head, as I took these pictures this morning, and thought about posting them. And why post them? From my perspective: it is the light. The light is getting warmer and brighter - a blessed thing. Living in a 'dark' apartment, you notice these things. Yes, Mr. Husband and I have a large window, but it faces North, with a view of a courtyard, Brownstones on either side, and a 12 story building directly opposite. So- not much natural light. To see the sky, you have to go to the window and look up. 





Having lived in the apartment for almost 20 years, I've become keenly aware of the cycle of light throughout the year, as it crawls across the ceiling and is reflected off the windows from that 12 story building. The ceiling always has a blue cast to it, making its pure white paint seem even colder: which is why I am intent on painting the ceiling panels the same color as the walls, which are cameo white (the coffered beams are painted a half-tone of cameo white). It needs a bit of color- or so my eye tells me. But I've gotten off track. I started this post because of the light on the wild almost-done tulips. That light's gone now as I write, only lasting about 30 minutes. However, it will be back later when the sun hits another window. 

The second photograph was taken with me sitting on the floor, at the bottom of the entry stairs, thus capturing the whole width of the living room. You can see that I haven't yet taken down the angel Gabriel which was put up for the Holidays, nor have I take the 1950's sample suitcase  - filled with ornaments - to basement storage.  

Funny what a photograph can tell you. This one suggests that the room could benefit from a large carpet, perhaps a grass one with a simple border that encompasses the sofa and chairs.  That and a much larger mirror. I'm working on the later: a large frame sits in the basement waiting to be gessoed and gilded, though I am wondering about a black finish with gilding. There is that black piano to consider, which you get a glimpse of in the lower left hand corner.  

5 comments:

  1. I think you are right about a large rug or carpet but it never occurred to me a couple of weeks ago as I liked your room as is - saleman's sample case et al. In our library we have seagrass which had a beautiful green cast to it that faded to beige as we were warned it would. It feels wonderful under bare feet but very uncomfortable under bare knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for your 'eye', Blue! I like the idea of sea grass, as well as a darker colored carpet as you suggest: one thought being a navy colored carpet, perhaps set underneath the smaller oriental currently under the ottoman. Though that might be fussy! Of course, a larger oriental would be divine! Yes to that!

      Delete
  2. P.S. your room having northern light could take a much warmer colour than white though I do understand the need to maximize light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But there is nothing fresh flowers can't fix, especially at this time of year. I think now (as always) it's a charming looking room. Would a rug help, perhaps, or a larger mirror, could be; Nothing is ever done! I vote to keep the angel up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, ArchitectDesign! You are so right on both accounts: flowers and "nothing is ever done!" Gabriel is staying up for the duration, the larger mirror, which will encroach on his space, not being finished yet.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.