Friday, May 17, 2013

portrait of a chair


Perhaps the oldest of three arrow back chairs brought back from Bucks County this past week, this particular one was kept in my father's workshop in the basement, sitting a few feet away from his massive wooden work bench, which he made. One of its mates came from mother's family farm near Pittsburgh. Its seat split and broken when found, my father restored it with a cleat that contains his signature. The seats on all three are rather low, which is an indication of how tall people were more than a century ago. While not dining chairs, they will do in a pinch with cushions. I admire their beautiful patina which my father loved so much, the velvety finish along the back revealing its mysteries under the hand.


arrow back maple chair c. 1820 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments.