Thursday, June 13, 2013

Prism & Poppy: Two Tiffany Lamps

Two Tiffany table lamps that my father acquired in the 1960's where sold at Sotheby's yesterday, their radiant beauty finding new homes in which to dazzle the eye. They did very well too, which makes me happy, since my mother's move to a cottage in an assisted-living facility will now be all the more comfortable. 

I was a child when my father brought them home. Of the two on this page, my favorite has always been the Prism lamp. It sat on a small table in the entry hall, its hanging iridescent glass prisms glistening like dragonfly wings above a dark pool of blue-grey flagstones. 






Photographs, Sotheby's New York City. 

4 comments:

  1. How lovely that your parents could enjoy them for the majority of their lives and now they can give peace and comfort in other ways! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, ArchitectDesign. My father would often talk about the lamps in terms of a being around for a 'rainy day,' which, indeed turned out to be the case: they have showered blessings on my mother, for which we are all very grateful.

      Delete
  2. They are a delight. The first one must have tinkled as someone walked past it. The more I read about your father the more I think I'd liked to have met him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blue. They are indeed a delight. I feel honored to have had them - and my father- in my life. My father started out as an ironmaker and became an artist after discovering the work of Tiffany. I'm glad I could witness it. Complex man. Baroque man. Big man. He was tall and had huge hands: a force to be reckoned with.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.