Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pantheon

I was in Rome for two days before joining Umbrian Serenades and traveling to Spoleto, where I stayed for two spectacular weeks: singing, eating and drinking in dolce Umbria. This was my third time in Italy, but the first time I set aside time to see Rome. Not the most comfortable place in summer (Umbria is a good 10 degrees cooler), but having lived through many New York summers, well... it wasn't hard at all. I just wore shorts and linen shirts everywhere, the rule being: if the church you are going into doesn't charge (like the Vatican does), no one is going to stop you at the threshold if you have bare knees or shoulders. 

Staying near the Pantheon, I visited the amazing building 4 times, seeing it at different times of the day. It had a huge affect on me. Couldn't get enough of it. To say that it was inspiring would be an understatement. Standing under its domed ceiling, I was ecstatic. I only wish I had been there during a thundershower so as to see rain fall through the oculus. 



















2 comments:

  1. Now here's a fond appreciation of a marvelous thing; but the second photograph is an extremely rare view and represents the architecture with clarifying effect. "Lucky sob."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Laurent. Lucky sob indeed. I really couldn't get enough of the place. Dreaming about it still. Wishing you a wonderful Happy End of Summer.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.