Monday, September 9, 2013

Tabarrini Rosato dell'Umbria



Can you fall in love with a wine? I did. Weeks ago, I was in Spoleto, Italy, with my friend Paulo Faustini, who founded Umbrian Serenades, and we attended a dinner where Tabarinni wines were served with an excellent meal. The producer was there, and talked about each wine as it was served with the various courses. The first one was Tabarrini Rosato. Made from Sagrantino grape, it was the hit of the night, and everyone in our group - twelve of us actually - looked in vain for it in town. Then, before our farewell dinner, I walked from our hotel to the Piazza Mercato, wandering into a wine store and finding it on a lower shelf for eight euros. I bought one (later chiding myself for not getting two) and stashed it in my small suitcase like a precious relic. 

Paulo came for dinner a day ago. I made Porchetta Pork Chops, Baked Radicchio and Endive, and paired the Tabarinni with a simple Caprese Salad. It was tangy and dry, with a hint of effervescence. Heaven in a glass. Unfortunately, you won't be able to find it here in America. But you can come sing with me in Italy next summer! 

2 comments:

  1. My dear Daniel,

    How wonderful to catch up with your posts after you had a short break during the summer. Your trip to Italy is most delightful and the photos are stunning. I learn what is missing in my life. The beauty of Italy and its art and culture. It's wonderful to know that you like a glass of good wine. The wine you discovered in Italy sounds exquisite and I'm sure that it is a sophisticated choice for a good evening meal. Since I'm a Buddhist, I don't drink. So, I usually leave my friend, Gordon to decide. He's like you. The man with a fabulous taste.

    With warmest wishes, ASD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, SuperD,

    It was a wonderful summer as far as travel was concerned. I love Italy! If you haven't been there yet, I hope you have the opportunity to go. There is much to see. And of course, I especially have enjoyed being in Umbria.

    We share an interest in Buddhism, which isn't something I've written much about here - which gives me food for thought.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    All best possible thoughts,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.