Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Autumn Evening Light


Dinner in hand, I came home to find the apartment aglow with yellow chrysanthemums courtesy of a student of Mr. Husband, so snapped a few photos while standing in the kitchen. 


On our agenda at home? Mr. Husband has a major birthday tomorrow, we are planning the renovation of our kitchen cabinets (they are to my back in these photos), the wonderful 1880's carpet under the sofa and chairs is moving to the bedroom soon, and I have a book coming out. I look at this second photo, and my mind fills the blank wall space above the piano with at least one modern black-and-white painting in an old gold frame. I love gallery style paintings: they draw the eye up and make the space feel larger. It also suits the building, which was constructed in 1895-6, the apartment itself originally being the dining room. What can I say? It's New York living! 

5 comments:

  1. Dear Daniel,

    I hope you have a wonderful time on your husband's birthday tomorrow. I know how hectic it can be when we try to renovate our homes when we are living inside the space. But as the saying go, you can't make an omelette without breaking an egg. So, I keep my fingers crossed for you. Your flat looks very cosy, tasteful and elegant. It reminded me of the first flat (very bijou) I lived in the city before I moved into the country. I somehow missed this flat which was so easy and quick to heat the place. Good luck with it all and also wishing you all the best for your new book!

    Best wishes, ASD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, SuperD. Birthday was lovely, which included dinner at our favorite place, La Boite en Bois, which had been closed for 6 weeks, but fortuitously opened yesterday morning. Can you believe it? Thank you for the good words. Our aesthetic isn't popular right now if design mags are any indication: everything looks like a hotel lobby. D

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. ... or Gotham as I often call it. Only thing missing is the Bat signal!

      Delete
    2. Great brainstorm. We must all chip in and send you a wind-up miniature, to project in the convex mirror for the birthday party. Great style, DJS.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.