Saturday, August 23, 2014

Palazzo Doria Pamphilj


I heard of it last year when I stayed at Hotel Mimosa, which is located just steps away from the Pantheon in Rome. The Palazzo Doria Pamphilj houses an unique collection of paintings and sculpture that has been in one family for more than 300 years. So this year, I saw it on a glorious summer's afternoon with a friend who was also attending Umbrian Serenades. We had the place to ourselves. No crowds. No lines. Just great art, architecture and ambiance. When you are in Rome, you must go. 

2 comments:

  1. Mile after mile, it seemed to me, of great art and just around a corner, almost to be missed, the wonderful Velazquez portrait of Innocent X. We've been twice in winter and the place is never crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Blue. Yes, there is the Velazquez tucked around a corner, which, if you keep walking, you will miss. The Bernini sculpture in the same room is pretty jaw-dropping too. Had a grand time there, the place almost (ha) feeling like one's own. I was chided for taking photos, which is why you don't see more. This lovely man is from the entryway, before I was nabbed. So glad you got to see it, and twice no less. THAT says something. Hope you are having a lovely end of summer.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.