Friday, November 21, 2014

Autumn in New York

Sheep Meadow

Autumn has been beautiful this year, with a lot more color than I remember for a long while with rust, umber, burnt orange, and deep gold throughout Central Park. The night before I snapped this photo (having come back from Carnegie Hall for a rehearsal—then later a performance), five feet of snow had dropped on Buffalo. Here in Gotham? We only had our first frost, which zapped the perennials out front (roses mostly) and snuffed the annuals, and made me take the air conditioner out of the window, which was creating a draft. Then the humidifier was brought out of storage, to keep the piano from being destroyed, the voice from being parched, and viruses at bay—which, my doc tells me, are more easily communicated in arid environments.

Why more people don't think about humidity in the winter is beyond me, especially those who have a feel for aesthetics, since there is nothing worse than being in a beautiful home and feeling like you are in the desert. Of course, too much humidity isn't good either. It's all about balance, which, for me, means filling the humidifier twice a day until spring. 

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking of this this morning - getting a humidifier. I wish I had the old school radiators (mine are inset into the wall) where you could set pans of water on the 'shelf'. That creates the perfect humidity!
    Here too we had a vivid fall -the first I've seen since moving here in 2003!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ArchitectDesign. You remind me of the house I grew up in, which had those same radiators. My window seats in our apartment do have that kind of radiator, but the metal cover does not provide the necessary room for a pan, a pity since it would work wonderfully. When it gets really cold and the heat is on constantly, we have one is each room to get humidity above 50 percent, which the piano prefers. Even that takes some doing. Then a pot of the stove is put into use!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.