Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas at The Apthorp



I had a wonderful afternoon lunch with a friend here in Gotham yesterday, whereupon I sailed down Broadway to pick up a Christmas turkey at Fairway Market, passing by the Apthorp and snapping a few photos of its entrance. 




I was in one of the apartments once, which had a huge living room: 30 by 40, with 18 foot ceilings—the apartment had its own entrance right off the elevator, and hallways so wide extended arms did not touch the walls. That was years ago, before the building was taken over and made into condominiums, and the impala-buckback-something-or-other on the gate was gilded. 

4 comments:

  1. hmm - wonder why they would gild that...does it work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, ArchitectDesign. That's a good question, one which makes me say "no," I don't think there is anything gained by the gilding. The wrought iron of the gate really doesn't suggest that kind of refinement, so it seems out of place.

      Delete
  2. Ah, the Apthorp. I dated someone who had the happy task of housesitting during the summer of 2003 I remember being most impressed with the library off of the living room. Floor to ceiling bookcases & perhaps the biggest bathroom I'd ever seen in a New York home. He'd fetch me breakfast from Fairway or Zabars -- lox, chicken livers, fresh cream cheese -- & on Sunday we'd read the paper; 23 & 24 yeasr old pretending to be retired.


    I love your blog -- will have to check in more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Sebatianfortino. Sounds like you had a very lovely summer!

      Delete

I welcome your comments.