Monday, December 14, 2015

Flirting with Green


December 2003. The year I painted two walls a grayish-green (you can see paint chips tucked into the smaller mirror on the mantel), and thought better of it since the room, with only one large window, felt cave-like during the day.  So I painted the walls back to their former cameo white. The room is still cameo white, which has a hint of yellow in it: though I kinda miss where I was going, the idea being a dark room, which faces north and doesn't get a lot of light, can look great even darker. 

Blue once suggested that I try a dark teal or green. Nothing would be spared. Only the ceiling with its coffered beams would remain white. Very English gentleman's library circa 1880, which would be fitting since the building was constructed in 1885-6. Now that the room has more lighting from those same coffered beams, it could be pulled off, right? That's what I tell myself anyway. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Blue - embrace the dark. It's never going to be a bright light room -so go cozy! I love the idea of all dark green (Even the ceiling -why not?) -just make sure you have plenty of task lighting to read, etc. Always a pretty room no matter the color though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, ArchitectDesign. Embracing the Dark Side is rather fitting seeing that Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be in theaters this week! Thank you for your good words. I love the ceiling height especially, which makes the room feel bigger than it really is. Wishing you a wonderful holiday season! D

      Delete
  2. I have been a silent reader but now I have to step up and voice my opinion. I totally agree with Blue on this one. I painted my small office ceiling a dark green and then upholstered the walls in a dark green stripe. I have loved it for over 25 years. Originally inspired by BBC's Edwardian era series, I dubbed this room my "Edward the Seventh goes to Africa" room. I keep the windows closed because of the glare on my computer, but the room feels like a hug than dark and claustrophobic. Maybe it's the leopard carpet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, home before dark. I don't know what is more delightful: your room or your comment. Thank you.

      Delete

I welcome your comments.