Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Wither Toby Worthington?


Now that I am swimming in these waters again after taking a hiatus from blogging (I actually deleted this blog for a space of 5 months), I found myself going through previously written posts and thinking: Whither Toby Worthington?

I have the memory of Toby making an exit from commenting and posting (though he does have a visual presence on blogger), and now can't find him anywhere. Ardent researcher that I am, I did find an obit for a Toby Worthington who was born in 1970 and died on December 31, 2014. Is that him, or someone else? 

While we never met, I would hear from him in comments as well as the occasional email (my old computer crashed and burned so it not helpful regarding contact info), usually chiding me for not posting more often since we had similar interests. What a talented man! 

Life is a dance. We like to think it will go on forever, twirling and swirling, and perhaps it does on some level, though not in the same form. I think of that now and then, the idea being that energy cannot be created or destroyed.

Wherever you are Toby, you are in my thoughts. 


Photo Credit: iPhone 6 captured a Venetian mask over a handmade shade and amber finial sourced from eBay. The antique mirror is from Housing Works, while the gilt frame is circa 1860's. 

13 comments:

  1. He's still active -and after this post I'm sure he'll be contacting you :-) I just talked with him last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ArchitectDesign! I knew you would know! Excellent news indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an email from him last week, as well - with a link to a Sotheby's auction preview, wouldn't you know! Decidedly still about. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Stephilius! I think I hear Toby Worthington singing "I'm Still Here!"

      Delete
  4. My heart literally skipped a beat. I, too, miss the presence of Toby Worthington as a commenter. I have often clicked on his name to see if it links to a blog. I am a lurker -- I find that others voice (far more articulately than I) comments that I think "my thoughts -- exactly. what could I possibly add to the discussion?" So I tend to "lurk" in the background. I read blogs and I read comments. Toby Worthington has commented from time to time on many of the blogs I read. I always learn something from his erudite comments. Since I am taking the time to comment here -- I would like to welcome you back. I missed you! Many thanks for all the pleasure I take in being let in to a small part of your world. Susan Adler Sobol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was all set to leave a teasing reply to Daniel James Shigo and Co, telling of my adventures in the Afterworld since my untimely demise--tea with Elsie de Wolfe, cocktails with Cole Porter, drawing lessons from Rex Whistler and Paolo Veronese--until seeing this comment from Susan Adler Sobol, who has encouraged me to re-join the Living. Thanks very much Susan, for your generous remarks.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment, Toby Worthington! Consorting with the luminaries mentioned would be right up your alley— of that I have no doubt. I spied your red-walled library on another blog today, and am glad to know you (and the library, yes?) are extant as ever.

      Delete
    3. When you DO go, dear Mr. Worthington, take me with you; you certainly have the very best of connections, there on the far bank. ; )

      Delete
  5. Thank you for comment and "welcome back" Susan! I hope you allow your voice to sing out more often. It's lovely. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every blogger's favorite commentor -- one of them at least -- Toby Worthington is indeed alive and well. We have just been discussing the new gallery renovations in the Victoria & Albert Museum and a small but growing movement to disparage historic artifacts as ill-gotten gains.
    _ The Devoted Classicist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, John J. Tackett. You are spot-on regarding Toby Worthington's comments, which is why I thought to ask. I was at the V & A much too long ago, and am out of the loop regarding the renovation, though am aware of the movement of which you speak: If implemented, it would mean that everything would be up for grabs.

      Delete
  7. I spoke with Toby just this afternoon, he is working on a design for the chain covering of my new Joe Nye Regency Chandelier! We all must have our fix!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments.